Monday, April 15, 2013

Toaster Oven Challenge: Clumpy Granola Recipe + the Green Living Show



I love granola.   The clumpier, the better.  I eat a lot of it but always thought it was a bit of an energy guzzler to make.  So this was the perfect choice for the toaster oven.  The best part about using the toaster oven for clumpy granola is that it makes the perfect portion to fit a mason jar.

Here's what you need (yes, the pic shows artificial vanilla.  That's all I had but it'll taste much better with pure vanilla extract).


Recipe:
2 cups of oats (Use large flake oats.  The quick kind won't clump together as nicely)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup syrup
1 egg white
1 tbsp brown sugar (optional if you like a sweeter granola)

The rest is pretty simple... mix the dry together.  The mix the wet ingredients together.


Then combine the two bowls


Press firmly into the pan but leave a hole in the centre.  My toaster oven pan is raised in the middle and it doesn't seem to cook very well in the centre.  If yours is flat, then fill in the hole.


Pop it in the oven at 300F for about 45 minutes.  You can check back every 15 minutes to stir it but I don't bother.  I like to break it up myself.  Sometimes, it comes out as one whole piece!

Here's what it looks like out of the oven.  Make sure to let it cool before you try to break it apart.


We like it with yogurt or with fruit.


This weekend was the Green Living Show in Toronto.  My sister asked me to go with her so I decided to make some granola for us to snack on.  Silly me... why would I bring crunchy granola to a crunchy show?  We sampled a lot of granola and by the end, I think I cried "no more granola!" and "I'm so tired!"

By the end of the show, my sister, my mom, and I were exhausted and happy from all the shopping and taste testing of organic this and that.   We loved the Rowe Farms wing sampling, and all of the samples from Green Beaver.  Here are some pics from the event.  All fuzzy, all from my phone.


1.  Orange Drop -  It wasn't all just shopping...  we learned about the lifecycle of a battery.  We had our picture taken doing something goofy
2.  Zazubean Chocolate - le yum!  We got the chocolate/chilli combo and the chocolate/orange combo.  The chocolate is also infused with Yerba Mate so I had to get this for hubby.
3.  Rosewood Estates Honey - the best honey ever!

Some random pics...


My bag was also full of stickers and enviro glue for the kids so they were very happy the next morning.   The best find though, was discovering Purple Daze Lavendar Farm.   Road trip in June?


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. I think you hit all the places at the Green Living show that I didn't! I got there late and pretty much missed the food (best) part of the show. I picked up stuff from Purple Daze too. And they found out they are literally 5k down the street from my family! If you're interested in a road trip, I'd love to come along and suggest a few other places in the area. (I grew up down there). Let me know! -Kate Rodas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! I'm definitely in for a road trip. How long do you think it'll take for us to get there?

      Delete
  2. Greate I'd love to come along and suggest a few other places in the area. (I grew up down there). Let me know! -Kate Rodas Toaster Oven Chicken Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks amazing, the perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pictures found on your website even if making curiosity quickly a little bit of amount submits. Gratifying technique for long term future, I'll be book-marking during the time become your surface finish arises " up ". best toaster oven under $100

    ReplyDelete